Tuesday, September 7, 2010

How It All Began...

We recently got our 1989 Glastron back in the water after it spent several years in storage.  Once we were back out on Lake Winnisquam in New Hampshire, I started feeling nostalgic for the 1959 Glastron runabout that my family owned for over 30 years.  So, I began searching for a vintage Glastron to restore.  My goal was to find a red and white 1959, but when I spotted a red and white with the hinged hardtop I became obsessed with this boat.  The boat was for sale in southern New Hampshire - between our home in CT and our summer place on Lake Winnisquam.  The boat had been for sale for several weeks when I finally got around to contacting the owner.  It was still for sale, so my daughter and I took a ride up to see it.  It was love at first sight.  The classic lines and the unique hinged hardtop were just what I was looking for.  Here are pictures that we took the first day.  Remember, this is a restoration project boat!
Our 1961 Glastron had been sitting in this yard for almost 20 years!
Another view of this classic boat.  The hardtop is hinged at the back to allow easy access to the front seats.
The original Evinrude Big Twin 40 hp still appears to turn over!

The spartan interior will be replaced after we replace the floorboards and stringers.
 As you can see, the trailer is held together by an old fence post and is certainly not roadworthy.  This created our first challenge - how to get the boat on to another trailer and home to CT.

Published by Janette.

No comments:

Post a Comment